Meat has been a part of the Homo sapiens diet since ancient times. The domestication of animals for meat, milk, and wool was a driving power behind the development of permanent human societies starting about 10 thousand B.C.
Scientists assume that higher meat consumption, high in protein and fat, committed to human life extents and mental growth during that time.
Globally, the consumption of different types of meat varies greatly. Such differences are primarily due to economic, historical, cultural, and religious reasons. The map below shows the most consumed type of meat by country.
Pork is the most popular meat in Europe. It is also prevalent in Asia. Unlike the Old World, Americas prefers Chicken.
In absolute numbers, globally, the most consumed types of meat are as follows.
Top Most Consumed Meats In The World in 2021
- Fish ~ 180 million tons
- Chicken – 128 million tons
- Pork – 118 million tons
- Beef – 92 million tons
- Lamb Meat – 18 million tons
- Goat Meat – 12 million tons
- Turkey – 6 million tons (The U.S. consumed 41% of overall turkey meat consumption. It is about 2.4 million tons)
- Duck – 5 million tons
- Buffalo – 4.9 million tons
- Goose Meat – 2.7 million tons
- Rabbit Meat – 1.1 million tons
- Horse Meat ~ 800 thousand tons
It should come as no wonder that fish is the most consumed type of meat in the world. In addition, fish is the most healthy type of meat, full of heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids.
Below is the list of the healthiest types of meats.
The healthiest meats
- Sandwich Meats
- Wild Boar
- Roast Beef