“Map showing the distribution of the slave population of the Southern States of the United States. Compiled from the Census of 1860.”
It should be observed, that several counties appear comparatively light. This arises from the preponderance of whites and free blacks in the large towns in those counties, such as-
Henrico Co Va, Norfolk Co do, Shelby Co Tenn., Davidson Co do, S’Louis Co Mo, Orleans Co La, Charleston Co S.C &c.
The figures in each County represent the percentage of slaves viz Amherst Co Va 46 7/10 are slaves in every 100 inhabitants, Wayne Co N Carolina 38 5/10 air slaves in every 100 inhabitants &c &c.
– African American population percentage by county
– U.S. African American population, percent increase by county
– U.S. African American Population under 5 years of age Percent Change by County (2010 – 2014)
– Leading group by U.S. county
– Leading minority group by U.S. county
– Counties with fewer than 25 black Americans (2010-2014)